Thursday, February 27, 2014

Everest or bust

One of the reasons I made the decision to visit Nepal is obviously the Himalayas. 3 of the tallest mountains in the world are located in Pokhara and the tallest (above water) mountain in the world is Mount Everest. I very badly wanted to see some of these peaks. The first stop was the town of Nagarkot, which is 7200 feet above sea level. It's a town above the clouds. I woke up early to watch the sunrise then we got back into the car for the 7 hour drive to Pokhara.


When we arrived at around 4pm, the fog had already engulfed the Annapurna range of the Himalayas so I was unable to see what all the hype was about. That was shortlived however since the next morning I woke up early again (uggg) to drive to the top of a nearby mountain to watch the sun rise over the Himalayas and what a sight it was.









I totally lucked out as well since the day I arrived in Pokhara and the day I left, it was completely overcast. The 1 day I was there fully, it was gorgeous.

After this wonderful spectacle, I went back to my hotel, opened the drapes, and this is what was waiting for me. Not a bad view eh?


If I wanted, I could even go paragliding for a better look. I declined once I saw one crash. True story. Person plummeted into Phewa lake in a tail spin. I was told it was a "practice crash" but I seriously doubt that.



But I still wanted to see Everest. The tallest of them all. Over 29,000 feet above sea level. commercial airlines fly at 30,000 feet. They have a tourist flight in Nepal called the "Everest Express" and for $189 USD, an airline will take you up and fly you around Everest. Despite Nepal's sketchy aviation record the last 13 years (11 crashes, 188 dead, the most recent last Sunday that killed 18), I was going to risk it.

I woke up early again the next morning (no wonder I'm sick) and got driven to the airport. I arrived at 5:45 for a 6:45 flight but the weather was pretty cloudy. Was not looking good. I waited at the airport and waited. Finally at 9am, they cancelled all flights to the mountain. Oh well, I guess I'd just have to tell people I wanted to see Everest. But then I remembered that my first morning in Nagarkot, I was told that if I turned to the North and looked into the distance, I would see this.

That, my friends, is Mount Everest.


No comments:

Post a Comment