Thursday, February 27, 2014

Driving in India - The fog edition

After 3 days in Nepal, it was time to cross back into India for the last time before I depart in 2 weeks but this time, I was making a detour to Delhi. The plan was to make a whirlwind trip to northern India for 3 days. I landed in Delhi, which has a GORGEOUS new airport, got picked up by my new driver Suresh, and was taken to the Crowne Plaza for a short stay before heading off early (again) to Agra, 210kms away.

I got a great night's sleep despite my cold, thank you Alka Seltzer and we were off by 7:30.

I'm going to go straight onto the record and say that I like northern India way better than Bangalore. I'm not going to bring Kerala into this because I have a wonderful time there.

The reason is there is a 2 year old freeway from Delhi to Agra and it's incredible. Plus at 7:30am, it looks like this.


But do you see that haze? I wasn't sure if it was fog or smog. I soon got my answer.


That is visibility of about 50 feet. I've never in my life encountered fog like this. It was pretty terrifying. Apparently, there was a 100+ car accident last week on this same stretch of road due to fog.

What's funny about this picture is there is a toll booth somewhere within 30 meters of us. You might also make out the man crossing the road on the left. We passed the "TOLL CROSSING - 50 METERS" sign and neither of us could see where the toll booth was. After another few seconds, it finally came into view. We hit the speed bump before we saw the toll booth. Unbelievable.


No comments:

Post a Comment