Friday, March 28, 2014

The Golden Circle... Part 2 (Gulfoss)

From the lava field, we had a 1 hour, 45 minute drive to our next stop. Gulfoss.

Gulfoss is Iceland's most popular waterfall. There are approximately 7000 waterfalls in Iceland. And those are only the ones that have names. Everywhere you turn, there is a waterfall. Big and small.

The biggest is called Dettifoss and it was featured in the opening scene of the movie "Prometheus". It's located in northern Iceland. An area that is largely cut off right now due to snow.

I would love to return to Iceland and see Dettifoss in the future but right now, I had to settle for Gulfoss. I think I can live with that. 




That's not too shabby huh? It's arguably not even my favorite waterfall I've seen here...

We ate lunch at the Gulfoss Cafe and had the wonderful lamp soup Iceland is known for. I'm going to have to Google a recipe for it, because it's really, really good. It seems very basic. Lamb and vegetables in broth. But it's really filling and tasty. They serve it with warm bread and it's a perfect lunch after being cold all day long. After lunch and the waterfall, we packed it up again for our next stop that's just right down the road. Geysir. 

No comments:

Post a Comment