Thursday, March 13, 2014

Leaving in 9 hours. Possible.

I'm taking a break from packing, which I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that I hate. I can't believe that it is actually time to leave. Has it really been 2 months? Time truly flies by when you're in the midst of things. I still remember the day I received the e-mail asking if I was "interested in a special project that might required travel?" I was sick as a dog at home and my reply was something along the lines of "Durrrr... YES. Don't care where. Don't care when. Don't care for how long. Sign me up".

I distinctly remembering thinking "It can't be India. Ed is already there and has been there for 2 weeks already. Why would they need me to go to India?" 

 D'OH!!!

I got the fateful call later that day and the rest is history. It really is now. I would have said yes regardless but this experience has been one of the best of my life. Have met some truly amazing people, have experienced frustration unlike any I've ever experienced. Now not only can I say I've worked internationally, but can also say I've lived internationally. In India no less. 

I also only experienced 1 bout of the dreaded "Delhi Belly" and it was my own fault due to being careless. I had breakfast downstairs in my hotel, was tired and hungry on a Sunday morning. It was the morning after the ridiculously long drive to Ooty and back and I drank the glass of water the waiter served me from his pitcher. Ironically it was also a day after I posted that I hadn't gotten sick yet.  Big time jinx. Let's just say that night I didn't sleep much. Thank you lord for Immodium and antibiotics. My friend Lisako suggested I take the antibiotics right away so I did and it only lasted 1 day. 

I was involved in 2 car accidents. Only 1 involving another vehicle. The first was my little old driver in Sri Lanka drove into a pile of paving stones. I don't know how he didn't see it and I even told him to watch out and he drove into it anyway. The workers who were setting them down had the most confused look on their faces. I'm sure they were thinking the same thing. The second was my god-awful driver who drove me back to Cochin from Alleppey backed into a motorcyclist. He was by FAR my worst driver here. Full of road rage and attitude. He actually rubbed a few buses but didn't stop. Though neither did the bus. His method of driving was to try to force his way into spots even if there was a car or bus there. The car would give in 50% of the time. The bus, not so much. But he tried anyway. Then you hear the sound of scraping and the car slightly rocks. Then he'd back off. He was taking me to the airport and instead I asked him to take me to the Courtyard Marriott which is like 200 yards from the airport. I had 7 hours to kill so wanted to see if I could get a room for a few hours to use the shower and take a nap since I hadn't taken a shower in two days on the jetty. Well, he passed the hotel so I told him he missed it and he needed to go back. Instead of finding the first u-turn, he did what sadly a lot of drivers here do. He proceeded to put the car in reverse and start backing up on the 1 way road. He was half on the shoulder and half on the left hand lane. There was a motorcycle on the shoulder who was waiting to make a right hand turn (mind you they drive on the left so to make a right hand turn, you need to cross the lane of oncoming traffic). So he just proceeded to back into him and knock him over. He got out, they talked (loudly and aggressively). I started to get nervous since a crowd started to gather around the car. Then he got back in, kept backing up until he found a spot to make a u-turn and took me to the hotel. All the while complaining that "He saw me coming. He should have moved." I said "that doesn't mean you hit him!" He just looked at me and shrugged. Complete asshole. I didn't give him a tip even thought the drive was over 2 hours. F that guy. 

I visited 3 countries (India, Sri Lanka, and Nepal) while here. I saw 7 cities in 2 countries in 7 days. Believe me when I say I don't recommend that. I felt like I was on "The Amazing Race". So Exhausting. 

I've developed an obsession with disposable hotel slippers. I may or may not have 4 pairs. All different. All awesome. 

I'm bringing home 70 blue elephants (for my team), 15 Nepalese cashmere pashminas, a set of silk Indian outfits for my nieces, 3 sapphires from Sri Lanka, a Tibetan art drawing, and a whole suitcase of other gifts. Yet, I'm still able to pack everything I originally brought. Sans my flip flops and Pumas that I'm going to throw out here and a pair of jeans that finally saw it's end in Nepal. 

I horribly overpacked. 4 sweatshirts (wore 2), 3 pairs of shoes (wore 2), 2 pairs of flip flops (wore 1). 2 pairs of khakis (wore 1). Pair of warmups (didn't wear since I also had sweat pants). T-shirts, socks, and underwear were fine, but the sweatshirts were a waste of space. Too much sunscreen (didn't need it). Travel pillow (haven't used it). Flashlight (haven't used it and when I needed it, didn't have it with me) I need to learn to pack more efficiently. 

There is so much more that I'm sure I'll remember over the next 24 hours (the time it's going to take me to get back to San Francisco), and I'll continue this blog through my next trip to Iceland that starts on the 26th but man, what an adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment