Thursday, March 27, 2014

[I]ndia and [I]celand

The similarities stop with the first letter. 

Actually, that's not entirely true. They stop with the first letter and the 2 pronged electric plug. They stop after that. I promise. 

I landed in Reykjavic at 8:30am GMT (which is 1:30am PST if you care). The captain's announcement welcomed us to Iceland, told us how to catch connecting flights if necessary, wished the rest of us a pleasant stay, and said it was 27 degrees outside... then said we would have to exit the aircraft and walk outside to get to the terminal. A collective gasp came from the cabin since 99% of the people on the plane were NOT staying in Iceland, but rather just passing through. The couple next to me were on their way to Frankfurt, Germany. But to be honest, it wasn't that bad. It hits you when you walk out, but since there wasn't much wind, it didn't feel that cold. I've been colder. 

Reykjavic central is about 45 minutes from the airport so I boarded my pre-arranged bus to take me to my hotel. We were leaving the airport at about 9:30am so we surely would be heading into morning traffic right? Uhhh, no. Reykjavic has a population of about 150,000 people. Iceland as a whole has a population of about 230,000 (goes to show you how many people live outside of the city). I've been told that outside of the city, you can go 2-3 hours at a time without seeing anyone. That might sound lonely, but after India, that sounds awesome. I've also been told that there are more sheep in Iceland than people. (BTW, it's snowing right now. Weeee!) To compare, Bangalore alone had a population of 8,000,000. Delhi has a population of over 22,000,000 and India has a population of 1,300,000,000. Only 300,000 less than China. 

Right away, things I like about Iceland...

- The sunrise. Literally looked like a Bob Ross painting. (Happy little clouds!)
- The airport. It's like a giant Ikea. 
- Immigration. Took about 6 seconds. 
- The roads. Beautifully paved and arrow straight. 
- The traffic. There is none. 
- The people. They might not be bad looking. 

Things I don't like about Iceland...

- Roundabouts. I might have trouble with those. Ask Erika.
- The temperature. I only say that since I'm still nice and tanned from India where it was 93 degrees when I left. 

Tomorrow I'm taking a hike on a glacier and ice climbing, exploring lava tube ice caves, and tomorrow night, going in search of the Aurora Borealis. Not bad for my first full day with 11 more to follow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment