Saturday, January 18, 2014

McDonald's India... Mind and taste buds blown

I'm not going to lie... eating at a McDonald's internationally should be a sport. It's often downright delicious and WAY different from the crap we have in Micky D's back home. I call it crap because it's the healthy thing to say, but I still eat there from time to time. 

I've eaten at a few McDonald's around the world including Norway, China, Turkey, and now here in India. Obviously every location poses different problems for McDonald's but they've seen to adapted quite ok.

On Thursday evening on the way back from work to my hotel, I noticed there was a McDonald's about a mile away. I decided today to walk down to it along with find an ATM as well as a grocery store. Well, I never found the damn grocery store. Despite having my phone with GPS.

The McDonald's on the other hand, I was determined to find.

Sure enough. After about 1,340 steps or 8/10 of a mile (again, thanks Lisa for the FitBit), I found it. Now what stood out about this McDonald's from others? Aside from the security guard at the door of course? Well, you see those stairs on the left and right? Those lead up to take out counters. They also have what's called McDelivery where a man on a motorcycle will deliver to your home, not so piping hot McDonald's.

I went in because I was curious to see what the menu would consist of. Cows are sacred animals in India so would they cater to the occasional Westerner who might stumble upon this place of western glory or would they be respectful of the local custom?

Wellll, they did a little of both? There's no beef. It's been replaced by chicken patties. But forget the sandwiches for now. You can get a COKE ICE CREAM MCFLOAT! Or a "Brown Cow" as we call it. Though now I see why they didn't call it a Brown Cow. You can also get a Sprite McFloat, Fanta McFloat, or an iced coffee McFloat. Just feast your eyes on these!

So awesome.

I almost was on the verge of ordering one of everything just to taste but I thought I might get some looks so instead ordered the "Chicken Maharaja Mac". When I ordered, I was asked if I wanted "the burger". My eyes got big and said YES! Little did I know that just meant chicken, not veggie.
You can get any sandwich either with chicken patty or with "potato and pea" patty. It looks like a falafal and I'm sure it's delicious.

I went with the chicken patty. It's basically the same as a Big Mac. How does the jingle go again?
It's fantastic. The sauce is spicier than the Thousand Island type dressing on the Big Mac. They call it "Smokey Sauce".

I wonder if it's still considered a workout if I walk a mile back and forth to eat at McDonald's? If not, well dammit, it should be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment