Monday, January 20, 2014

18 Kilometers

Eminem can take his 8 Mile and stuff it. He's got nothing on my 18 kilometers.

18 kilometers. That's 11.18 miles.


18 kilometers. It takes me an hour to cover those 18 kilometers TO work and an hour and a half to cover those 18 kilometers FROM work.


18 kilometers. On the most dangerous roads in the world.


I'm trying to relish in this experience now since I might be changing residences due to the previously posted about calamity (which if you're keeping track was #2 in 2 days). Honestly, the driving and traffic here are so unbelievable that one just has to smile at the insanity.


- My driver today might have driven on the wrong side of a concrete divided road to get ahead of a traffic jam (he did).

- We might have been forced off the road because the cars going in the other direction decided that a 1 lane road was going to be a 4 lane road even if it meant encroaching onto our side so we basically were left to drive on the sidewalk.
- We had a truck pull out straight across us. We just looked at each other and laughed.
- Number of cows walking in the road that we had to avoid: 3
- Number of cows lying down in the road that we had to avoid: 1
- Number of bicyclists we ran off the road into a ditch: 1
- Number of schoolgirls we almost ran over before my driver finally conceded that they were going to keep walking in front of us so we stopped: 4
- Number of cars driving the wrong way on a 1 way expressway: Too many to count.









2 comments:

  1. Chris- after I visited India, I swore I would never complain about Bay Area traffic again. Despite the traffic insanity, I still love India and would go back again. I love this blog. So cool too see (videos, pics) and read about your adventures. Please tell me you are going to see the Taj Mahal. It is other worldly. Stay safe, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete